Thursday 24 December 2015

A Very Merry Christmas...


Hi Everyone! 

I can't quite believe that it's Christmas Eve! I'm now feeling super-festive and excited to spend the next few days with my loved ones. As my last Christmassy post of this year (sob!) I thought I'd share with you some of my favourite things about The Big Day.

Picture source
Food

I mean... you think of Christmas, you think food, right? I think for me Christmassy food begins a few weeks before Christmas when I'll start eating mince pies and chocolates. I love mince pies (especially homemade doused in piping hot custard) and gingerbread, Christmas chocolates (it's not Christmas unless you've had some Quality Street) and twiglets. Then it's the big day itself and the delicious Christmas dinner... turkey, lashings of graving, crunchy roast potatoes.... god, I'm drooling just thinking about it! I think this time of year is the one time when I indulge without thinking of the consequences - the gym will be there in January! 

Time to relax

I'll apologise now if you work in retail, hospitality, at a hospital or anywhere else that requires you to work just as hard over Christmas as any other time, but for me, Christmas is about taking time out of work to properly unwind and relax. I think whenever you have any time off at other times in the year, such as Summer,  you're usually busy doing things - going on holiday, enjoying the sunshine, seeing people and catching up etc. Christmas is the one holiday where I really take time out to have some 'me' time, to properly relax and refelct on the past year. Granted, it's also busy spent seeing family and friends, but I love chilling out. December is the only time of year where I'll spend a whole day on the sofa, watching films (they don't even have to be Christmas films, really!), in my Pjs and munching on chocolate. It's FAB. 


Festive themed... everything

Jumpers. Candles. Chocolates. Alcohol. Decorations. Cheeseboards. The list goes on. 
I love that during this time of year everything links to Christmas. There's the usual stuff (like I've mentioned above), but there's also those things that become festive themed and I don't really get why. Festive loo paper's one. Why do you need toilet paper with Christmas trees on? My Mum gets it every year - I don't think she thinks it's Christmas until you've wiped your bum with Christmas tree loo roll - but it just seems a little too far. It does make me laugh though, I love walking round the supermarkets and shops at this time of year and seeing all the ridiculous things that are festive, as well as the more usual and normal items that get me in the Christmas mood.


Films, Music, Books

As soon as December hits I am onto the Christmas themed music, books and films. This year I've discovered the joys of the Smooth Christmas radio station (if you haven't checked it out then go go go!) which has had me bellowing along to my fave songs for this time of year.
I've read some fab Christmas books this year (there's plenty of reviews for you to catch up on if you haven't already) but two of my faves have to be How to Stuff Up Christmas by Rosie Blake and The Twelve Dates of Christmas by Lisa Dickenson - they are both hilarious, witty and filled with festiveness. I absolutely loved them and they got me in the festive spirit!
Film-wise, I love all the Christmassy classics - Elf, Miracle on 34th Street, Santa Clause, Home Alone... but I also love watching childhood favourites. I don't know why exactly, but this time of year it always seems okay to watch films I used to love when I was younger. So far this month I've watched Anastasia (a classic), Mary Poppins (my fave), Bedknobs and Broomsticks and Cinderella. I have no regrets. 


Spending time with the people you love

That's what it's all about really, isn't it? Sure the presents are good, the food is insaneee and the decorations are beautiful, but without the people you love surrounding you those things wouldn't matter. I think Christmas is a time to appreciate those you love, and spend quality time with them. It's also a time where you can't help but reflect on people you are missing. This is our first Christmas without our Grandma and I know that it will be strange and sad, especially for my Dad, but we're trying to look at the positives and still make the day a good one. So over the next few days tell the ones you love what they mean to you, give them an extra hug and squeeze and just be happy with the ones that mean the most to you :)



I hope you have a Very Merry Christmas. I'll be posting between Christmas and New Year, but in the meantime there's plenty of reviews to catch up with. 

Merrrryyy Christmas! 

No comments:

Post a Comment