Thursday 31 December 2015

2015 book awards: funniest humour

Reading is, for me, a form of escapism. I love getting lost in different worlds and loosing myself in a good story. I also really enjoy funny stories that can instantly change your mood - they can cheer you up, help you forget the bad things happening in real life and can even make you feel more positive. These three stories are the ones that had me genuinely belly-laughing and causing people to look at me strangely when in a public place... oops!




The Vintage Guide to Love and Romance by Kirsty Greenwood

I absolutely loved this story which had me laughing out loud from the very first page. Jessica Beam is an all-round hilarious character, the situations she lands herself in and the way she deals with them is just utterly hilarious. Kirsty Greenwood's writing captured my heart and my imagination and this is a story I well and truly fell for... I still keep thinking about it now and is one of my reading highlights of 2015. Read my full review here 



The Temp by Emily Benet 

This is an absolutely brilliant read that follows Amber, a recent graduate wanting to make her mark on the world. While she works out what to do, she flits from temp job to temp job and also dabbles in art (her passion) as she does so. This is a sharp and witty read and Emily Benet has created a fun, tongue-in-cheek story with fantastic characters.  Read my full review here




The Very Happy Afterlife of Rosie Potter (RIP) by Kate Winter

The idea for this story is so different and entertaining I was absorbed from the first word. The story follows Rosie Potter as she wakes up one day to discover she isn't actually dreaming... but she's dead. We follow Rosie as she sees her loved ones react to her death and tries to work out how she died. It might not sound like the sort of story to have laugh-out-loud moments, but it SO does. Rosie is a funny and witty main character and really takes the whole 'being dead' thing in her stride. She does exactly what you'd want to do if you found out you were dead and I enjoyed following her on her journey. There are some emotional and heart-warming moments too, but for me the humour and wit in this story stood out the most. Read my full review here 

No comments:

Post a Comment