Wednesday 4 November 2015

Winter is coming...


I love Autumn

So, the clocks have changed, the dark nights are upon us and I've had to fetch out my 'big coat' to wrap up warm. Most people are grumbling about winter being close by and how depressing the dark winter nights are. I have to say though, I don't agree. I LOVE winter. 


Don't get me wrong, I'm all for a sunny summer holiday - relaxing by the pool with a good book and a cocktail. Bliss. But, if we're honest with ourselves, British summers suck. They aren't reliable, you can't guarantee good weather and deciding what to wear each day is a bloody nightmare. Vest top? cardigan? light jacket? Sunglasses? who knows! chuck it all in a massive bag and hope for the best. Ugh. At least with winter you can rely on it being cold. You know you'll need a coat and an umbrella on hand. It's a dependable season. I agree that this time of year isn't the best when you have to be out and about as it can be so wet and cold, but at least you know what to prepare for.

Then there's the general cosiness of the season. Getting home from work and shutting out the dark, dreary weather. A hot bath, fresh PJs and a night on the sofa when it's cold and rainy outside feel like such a treat. Swapping a big night out for a quiet night in with a book seems more acceptable in the winter months than they do in Summer.

Autumn and Winter also have brilliant holidays to celebrate. Although I'm not massively into Halloween, I do think its fun to see all the decorations and costumes and people getting into the spirit. Swiftly followed by bonfire night, which I love... fireworks and toffee apples and parkin (om nom) - my healthy eating goes out the window once Summer comes to an end, especially once mince pies start hitting the shelves.

Finally, I love autumn and winter clothes - boots, scarves, jeans, coats... I much prefer dressing in the winter than I do in Summer. I'm naturally really pale and burn easily, so I love not having to carry around a bottle of sun cream or fake tanning my milk bottle legs regularly in case I wear a dress - I can hide them in some tights instead.

I love getting in from work, having something warm and comforting for tea (think sausage and mash with gravy, shepherds pie and gravy... basically something smothered in gravy!), followed by a hot shower and getting into fresh PJ's. Once I'm in my comfies, I'll light some candles, make a cuppa, grab some biscuits and dive into bed with a book.  An early night in bed reading is no doubt my ultimate happy place, and I think it's even better in the winter when you can hear the wind and the rain outside and feel even more snug. Basically I love Autumn when I feel cosy, relaxed and can have my nose stuck in a book.

What do you like most about this time of year?
Let me know in the comments below! 




No comments:

Post a Comment