Friday 31 July 2015

Book Review: Three Amazing Things About You by Jill Mansell


Three Amazing Things About You

"Hallie has a secret. She's in love. He's perfect for her in every way, but he's seriously out of bounds. And her friends aren't going to help her because what they do know is that Hallie doesn't have long to live. Time is running out...Flo has a dilemma. She really likes Zander. But his scary sister won't be even faintly amused if she thinks Zander and Flo are becoming friends - let alone anything more.
Tasha has a problem. Her new boyfriend is the adventurous type. And she's afraid one of his adventures will go badly wrong.


THREE AMAZING THINGS ABOUT YOU begins as Hallie goes on a journey. A donor has been found and she's about to be given new lungs. But whose?"








My review:

Jill Mansell is one of my favourite authors because I just know that whenever I pick up one of her books I'm going to enjoy it. Her writing style is always engaging, humorous and descriptive and I find myself catapulted into a world of wonderful characters, idyllic villages and intriguing story lines. There's something really comforting about picking up a Jill Mansell novel, and Three Amazing Things About You doesn't disappoint.

True to Jill's usual writing style, the book follows three different main characters - Tasha, Hallie and Flo who lead separate lives at first, but are linked without realising it towards the end. I'll say now that I really wish I could tell you who my favourite character was and why, but its an impossible task. Each of the main characters have some brilliant traits that make them so realistic and likable that it's hard to choose who I preferred. Tasha may just pip the others to the post just because she is introduced as 'bin girl', which is a hilarious first scene that is referenced to throughout the story and kept making me laugh.

The supporting characters are also brilliant, they have clear identities and are just as realistic and brilliant as the main characters. A few of my favourites were Rory's best friend, Joe, who is cheeky and funny but with a kind heart. The older people who Flo looks after in the care home are also great, providing interesting anecdotes and stories of their past. Jeremy, the cat that Flo is left to look after adds to the story and is brought to life by Jill's talent for making characters (even cats!) jump off a page and seem so real its hard to believe they are nestled in amongst the pages of a story. Even Lena, Zander's sister is so selfish and infuriating you grow to really dislike her, but she is still an integral part to the story, and I always believe that any character that provokes emotion is brilliant, even if they are annoying!

From the very start of the book and from the blurb you know that this is going to be an emotional story, but I must admit that I wasn't quite prepared for the twists and turns that would lead us to the end. I don't want to spoil anything but I will say that it leads to a pretty shocking turn of events that had me biting my lip so I didn't cry. Jill has created a story that provokes all sorts of emotion and will stay with you for a long time after reading.

Three Amazing Things About You doesn't disappoint - Jill Mansell just keeps getting better and better! If, somehow, this book has passed you by then what are you waiting for? Go grab a copy and become engrossed in a story full of emotion, brilliant characters and difficult decisions.



No comments:

Post a Comment